3.22.2007

I Salute You, Kay Yow

I've never talked about sports on this blog, and I doubt I ever will -- while I like watching and playing sports (what?! I do play a couple of... well, okay, only basketball... say, when do they declare DDR an official sport?), it's just not something that my friends (and, by extension, the readers of this blog) are interested in.

With that said, there's a great storyline brewing in the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. Kay Yow, the Hall of Fame head coach of the North Carolina State University Lady Wolfpack, has been fighting breast cancer for the better part of the past three years. Please read this inspirational (and bittersweet) account of everything that she manages to do for her team during the darkest days of her life.

It's hard for me to care about N. C. State (once a Tar Heel, always a Tar Heel), but I can and will root unequivocally for Kay Yow and her team. She's displaying superhuman loyalty, dedication, and perseverance every day of her life, and I hope she ends her splendid career with a national championship.


No comments: