3.22.2007

Passing Judgement: RahXephon


With all the pomp and circumstance normally attributed to the despot ruler of a banana republic (and all the accountability of an unpaid internet "journalist") I prepare to pass judgement on RahXephon.

In what was almost certainly a mistake, I watched the entire series over the course of the past 24 hours. This might not, by itself, have been so bad if I hadn't done the same thing with Negima over the weekend. Regardless, while my brain is still seeped in Xephonic vapors I will take this time to ruminate a bit on the topic.

The first thing you think, on watching RahXephon, is "My god, they're ripping Eva off so hard it hurts." I immediately began drawing character parallels between various characters between the show. As things progress, and the show gets some ground under its legs, it manages to establish itself as more than just an imitation.

The series does, however, stick with many of the genre cliches. Look, it's the monster of the week. Good thing the destined shounen can hop in his giant robo and save us all. Oh no, damage has been done, will the varied cast of support characters be able to fix it in time?

Moreover, it's not terribly subtle with many of its character related plot twists. Put simply, if you're paying attention, there's very little left byepisode 6 that should really surprise you with regards to the character interactions. The same can not be said of the plot twists which are at times so random and seemingly arbitrary that you can can only absorb each event in a sort of zen like stupor.

If I'm giving the impression that I didn't like the series, then do not let my overly caustic nature deceive you. I actually rather fancied it. The pacing was such that I felt compelled to strive forward throughout the entirety of the series. There was never a point where I felt that here was a comfortable stopping point, or rest. It is a rarity for me to find a show so absorbing.

By series' end, things have resolved themselves satisfactorily (well, sorta). Several plot threads are left unfinished, but are done so in such a way that it doesn't much matter. However, the theatrically released movie does indeed tie some of these wandering narrative threads up.

Other than these revelations, though, the movie is largely dissapointing, consisting of a few new scenes and a lot of jerky editing of the regular television show. Since it establishes itself as a new continuity, those aforementioned revelations are themselves called into question. Indeed, with the way things are reworked, various facts from both continuties could not rationally be true in the other.

Still, considering the sum totality of the series, I approve. RahXephon provides a thoughtful giant robo romp without all of Eva's distressing emotional baggage. It's still got some of it, but there's no warm liquid goo phase to live down. Watch it if you get the chance.

1 comment:

Kamatari said...

I don't even know what day of the week it is right now due to sleep deprivation caused by the great AMS PS2 cleanup effort, but it's great to see you writing again!

I thought you'd enjoy RX. My discernment is not all bad, it seems. Made you a title graphic... homemade splice of a screenshot and a cropped logo. Fancy photoshoppers, I scoff at thee!

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/aa_megamisama.txt